On June 16, 2017, Bloomfield Hills Schools Board of Education President Ingrid Day resigned from her position. The Board of Education is now seeking applications to fill her position and serve the remainder of her term which expires on December 31, 2018. Applications will be received electronically through 4 p.m. on July 6, 2017.
School Board Member Job Description
Serving on American school boards is a vital and important aspect of our democracy. The governance of our local school boards by democratically elected men and women remains at the heart of our democracy and public education system.
So what is the "job description" of a school board member? What does he or she actually do? Board of Education members are volunteers who represent the public's voice in Public Education. They provide citizen governance for what the public schools need to ensure that our students get the best education available for the tax dollar spent. Effective school board members contribute their unique talents while collaborating and working as a team with other board members and their superintendent.
The Board of Education's primary responsibilities are to:
*Set the vision and goals for the District
*Adopt policies that give the District direction to set priorities and achieve its goals.
*Hire and Evaluate the Superintendent
* Adopt and oversee the annual Budget
For more information on these responsibilities, please refer to the Revised School Code, which is available at www.masb.org.
Process and Application
- Fill out out this application by 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 6, 2017 (http://tinyurl.com/y8jqapy6)
- Special Board Meetings to interview candidates will be held July 11th and 12th at 5:00 p.m.
- Selection and Appointment of Board Member will be on Wednesday, July 12, 2017, at 7:30 p.m.
- Oath of Office to New Member will be on Thursday, July 13, 2017 or Friday, July 14, 2017
Helpful Links for Interested Candidates