The district values open and direct communication with parents. Parents are encouraged to address their questions or concerns to the person or office most directly involved in the matter's resolution.
When subsequent conversation is required, the customary "chain of command" should be followed (e.g. teacher to principal to appropriate central office administrator to Board of Education). Those involved in addressing matters that are raised are committed to responding in an appropriate and timely manner. Although there may be specific matters which would be addressed in a manner other than is prescribed below, parental and community inquiries should generally be directed as follows:
A child's teacher should be the initial point of contact when parents have a question or concern about specific issues such as student progress, grade level or subject area curriculum, classroom practices or expectations, the instructional program, student assessment, student discipline or other matters related to classroom activities or organization.
- The school principal would be the appropriate person to contact initially when a question or concern exists relative to school rules or regulations, student placement practices, student registration, parent participation and involvement, student records, special programs and related student services, building goals, other matters related to school-wide activities or organization or any building-specific issues.
- The Transportation Department should be contacted for questions about district transportation services, including school bus routes and placement of bus stops.
- Food Services should be contacted for any questions related to our school lunch program, catering or other food service matters.
- Learning Services should be contacted when parents have questions about instructional practices, student performance and achievement, materials or issues that cannot be resolved at the building level.
- A child's coach should be the initial point of contact when parents have a question or concern about specific issues such as playing times, team rules, schedule conflicts or other matters related directly to the sport or team. If parents have athletic questions or concerns that cannot be answered by a coach, the building Athletic Director is the next point of contact, followed by the building principal and the district's Athletic Director.
- Special Education will answer questions related to special education programming.
- Business Services should be the initial point of contact with questions related to district finances, purchasing practices or other matters related to budget, finance or general operations.
- Physical Plant Services should be contacted for questions about buildings and grounds, operations, or facility rentals.
- Information Services can respond to questions or inquiries related to the district's technology program or student enrollment.
- The Superintendent should be contacted when questions or concerns exist relative to district policies or procedures and their application, general district questions or concerns, Board of Education meetings and agendas, or other matters related to district operations which are not identified within the general role descriptions delineated above.
- Human Resources and Labor Relations should be contacted for questions related to personnel matters, employment opportunities, benefits, labor relations and district calendar.
- Communications and Community Relations should be contacted for media and press information or general information about the school district.
- Board of Education members will respond to concerns or questions about district policy procedures, practices, programs, operations, Board actions or other matters related to governance.