The IB Learner Profile Trait for October: INQUIRER
The PYP Attitude for October: CURIOSITY
The IB Learner Profile trait for the month of October is Inquirers. Students who are INQUIRERS are curious about the world. They can conduct research independently. They love learning and discovering new things and will carry this love of learning with them throughout life. They have acquired the skills necessary to conduct purposeful, constructive research. They actively enjoy learning and their love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives. We show students the skills necessary to conduct inquiry and research, while students show independence in learning.
How can parents help to develop students who are Inquirers at home?
- Encourage areas of your child's interest by visiting the library to borrow books that explore these topics.
- Develop an understanding of the Internet. Work with your son or daughter when the Internet is being used and try to instill the understanding that some Internet sites are not reputable.
- Model being an inquirer. Admit when you don't know the answer to a problem or a question and seek out answers in front of your child.
CURIOSITY: This month at Bloomin' Preschool, Lone Pine & West Hills we will encourage our PYP learners to be curious about the nature of learning, about the world, its people and cultures. Curiosity is a natural way to learn about the world.
You can encourage your children's curiosity and increase their desire to learn though these fun strategies:
- Encourage your child to ask more questions by answering them to the best of your ability. If you don't know the answer,look it up together.
- Sometimes children's questions can be relentless. When this happens answer the question with a question. Ask your child to make a hypothesis or deduction based on information they already have or based or prior experiences.
- Ask your child many questions when you are out & about or in the middle of a teachable moment. Expect your child to use higher order thinking skills.
Every year our teachers find so many different ways to challenge and enhance the learning experiences for our Bloomin' Pre-School, Lone Pine & West Hills students. Each month we hope to feature different grade levels and/or subject areas implementing the IB Programmes. It will be wonderful to showcase all the hard work taking place behind the scenes in our schools. In the upcoming months you will hear about the creative and rigorous ways our teachers and students are working together across grade levels and subject areas to enhance student learning through transdisciplinary instruction. This will be another exciting year at Bloomin' Preschool, Lone Pine Elementary & West Hills Middle School. We look forward to sharing the journey with you.
Here is one website that might spark some inquiry-- http://wonderopolis.org/ .
If you find other websites that encourage inquiry, please let us know!
We appreciate your efforts at home to help support the Learner Profile Traits and the PYP Attitudes each month.
As always, please feel free to contact us with questions, ideas, or news at any time.
Kathy Janelle, PYP Coordinator
Jenelle Williams, MYP Coordinator
"Our reflection and action as individuals—and as part of the IB continuum of international education—can make the world a better place."