West Hills Middle School
The mission of WHMS is to ensure academic excellence, promote an enduring passion for learning, and encourage global citizenship while celebrating the success of each individual learner.
The school motto: "Nothing Less Than Your Best" is indicative of the high academic and personal standards to which West Hills is dedicated. Along with a strong emphasis on the development of academic knowledge, skills, technology and personal development, West Hills is proud of its commitment to performing and fine arts. In addition, West Hills offers over 19 different sports and several enriching co-curricular clubs and activities.
IMPORTANT SUMMER INFORMATION
WHMS AUGUST OFFICE HOURS
August 1 - August 30- Open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
August 31 - Closed until noon for district-wide staff meeting.
Counselors available by appointment
REGISTRATION AND TEACHER ASSIGNMENTS
Open this VERY IMPORTANT ARTICLE with instructions for completing your student's annual registration forms online and options for turning in registration confirmation and receiving your student's teacher assignment for the upcoming school year.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Tuesday, September 5
Classes begin at 8:15 a.m. for all grades
1/2 day for 4th and 5th graders - dismissal at 11:35 a.m.
Full day for 6th, 7th and 8th graders - dismissal at 3:05 p.m.
Buses will run at both dismissal times.
**** Supply Lists ****
Other Dates for 2017/18
Open the District Calendar for school schedule and breaks for the 2017/18 school year.
Michigan Institute of Urology Men’s Health Foundation is dedicated to supporting men’s survivorship, embracing their dedication to choosing to know about their health and their choice to “Fight Like A Man” to protect it.
On Saturday, October 14, 2017 from 9 - 3, they take over Detroit's FORD FIELD at their annual Men's Health Event! Be part of the thousands who come each year for the free screenings (men only 18 and up), fun on the field (fun for EVERYONE! women and children included) or to volunteer for a great cause! For details on what screenings are available, how to volunteer, and to register for this very important event click on the following link: Men's Health Event.
Dear 7th Grade West Hills Families,
The Birmingham Community House 21st Century Leaders Program is an entrepreneur leadership curriculum taught to inspire and grow future leaders. The program is only open to 7th grade students. This program is sponsored by local businesses so there is no cost to the students who participate except for $30 in student supplies. For students and families who participate, there is a one night required parent orientation meeting on October 23 from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. and throughout the year 22 student meeting dates that span from October through April at the Community House in Birmingham. All meeting dates are on Mondays and typically last from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. For more information about the program click on the link.
1. Students must have maintained excellent attendance, grades, behavior, and demonstrated leadership capabilities/potential.
2. Students need to submit a written statement, not to exceed one page, describing why they would make an excellent candidate for the program. Statements of interest must be turned in to Mr. Castellani, by 8:15 a.m. Wednesday, September 27, 2017.
3. Students must be able to commit to the program requirements, including attending required sessions with no more than three absences. For meeting dates, click here.
4. Student's that have siblings that have already participated in the program are not eligible, according to the 21st Century Leaders Program rules.
1. West Hills has two seats available; we will have at least one girl and one boy.
2. Student statements and student records will be reviewed prior to selection; should a student not be considered, they will be contacted prior to final selection. Eligible students will be entered into a lottery.
3. West Hills nominated students will be selected by lottery. Additional names will be drawn as alternates should our selected students elect to not attend after their initial orientation.
Join us on Sunday, October 1, 2017 from Noon - 4:00 pm for the Bloomfield Township Open House! Enjoy patrol car rides, K-9 and firefighter demonstrations, animal adoptions, raffles and more fun for the whole family. Be sure to stop by Bloomfield Hills High School for the pop up Bowers School Farm with live animals, free face painting, musical entertainment, tours of learning communities, snacks, and more! Click read more for a list of additional activities, give away prizes, and event map.
Join in on the fun! Bowers School Farm Fall Festival is Saturday & Sunday, October 14 & 15, 2017 from 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm. Tons of activities for everyone! Wagon rides, animal interaction, live music, food trucks, face painting, pumpkin picking & decorating, bounce house, strawland, inflatable archery, wool activities, historical activities, bungee run, meet and compete with a Black Hawk, and more! Read more for additional information and visit www.bloomfield.org/FallFestival or call 248.341.6481.
West Hills Middle School
2601 Lone Pine Road
West Bloomfield, MI 48323
Rob Durecka, Principal
Andy Gignac, Assistant Principal
Debbie Steaban, Principal's Secretary
Lisa Jones, Attendance Secretary
Tony Castellani, Guidance Counselor
(4th (Bialk and Gale), 5th, & 7th)
Anne Westphal, Guidance Counselor
(4th (Castellani and Gordon), 6th & 8th)
Jill Geden, IB PYP Coordinator
|Class||8:15 a.m. - 3:05 p.m.|
|Half Days||11:35 a.m. Dismissal|
7:00 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
3:05 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
|Office||7:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.|