Dear Bloomfield Hills Families,
This morning, the Board of Education convened an emergency meeting to discuss the change in the COVID data that now places us in red according to the Harvard metrics approved by the board on August 20, 2020. Currently, schools in Oakland County are at risk level E, which is defined as either more than 150 cases per million or a 20% positivity rate. In level E, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) and Oakland County Health Division (OCHD) advise pausing in-person instruction for the full district. It is important to note that the Board of Education’s vote was not to close schools, but rather to pause in-person teaching and learning and migrate the BHS high quality instruction to a fully distance learning model.
Today, students who reported to school for in-person teaching and learning will complete the day in school. Teachers and administrators will encourage students to gather all of their belongings at the end of the day to take home with them. If students are not in school, we will offer time to collect belongings on Monday. Please watch for communication from your child’s school regarding pick up opportunities. In addition, the following are some important details regarding the transition to fully distance learning:
- In-person learning will be paused for a minimum of 21 calendar days, according to the metrics adopted by the Board of Education in August, 2020.
- For those students already enrolled in Bloomfield Virtual, coursework will continue as planned.
- Students and families will continue to coordinate with their home schools to come in and get devices or swap out broken devices. For other tech support, please continue to email firstname.lastname@example.org, our Family Help Desk.
- We will not run Middle School Winter 1 sports, but will continue to review data in the hopes that we can operate Middle School Winter 2 sports.
- The following transition plan was reviewed during the November 4th Board of Education meeting and will guide the transition into fully distance teaching and learning:
Many traditional school services will still be available while buildings are closed. Families are encouraged to reach out to teachers, office staff, or building principals should they need help. Services include (but are not limited to):
- Technology assistance (for both students and parents)
- Food service distribution (Every Monday & Thursday at Bloomfield Hills High School)
- Social-emotional support (e.g. counseling, behavioral support, crisis intervention)
- Department of Health and Human Services assistance
We will continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 data. The district requires 21 consecutive days in orange before we will again consider returning to a hybrid teaching and learning model. In the meantime, please continue to follow all COVID-19 health and safety recommendations from the Oakland County Health Department and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Clean your hands often, either with soap and water for 20 seconds or a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people (at least 6 feet).
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face covering when around others.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. Clean your hands after throwing away the tissue.
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched objects and surfaces daily.
This action is in accordance with the August 20, 2020, Board of Education meeting, where the Board established and approved key metrics to guide our decision-making around distance hybrid, and full in-person teaching and learning. The chart below illustrates the four phases relative to the case counts.
While we are disappointed that the pandemic has caused the need to return to fully distance teaching and learning, we will continue to provide high quality instruction and support services to meet the needs of all learners as best as possible during this challenging public health crisis. We greatly appreciate your partnership and support.