Bond Quarterly Update: April 2023
Over the past several months, we have made significant progress with our bond construction. Here are some of the highlights:
Conant, Eastover, Lone Pine, and Way are all scheduled to have new playgrounds for the 2023-24 school year. The playground equipment has been ordered and drawings of the design are included on the Elementary Bond webpage.
Elementary & Middle School Secure Vestibules
As school districts look to enhance their overall security measures, access control becomes an issue of increasing importance. Secure vestibules provide an environment where a school can begin their screening process for those about to enter their facility. At BHS, secure vestibules will provide both an audio and visual means to assist with this process. The new secure vestibule entrances will be complete for the 2023-24 school year for NHMS, SHMS, Conant, and Way. The secure vestibules at Eastover and Lone Pine will be constructed for the 2024-25 school year.
Elementary Kindergarten Wings
Conant, Eastover, Lone Pine, and Way are all scheduled to have new kindergarten wings for the 2023-24 school year. Construction on Conant and Way kindergarten wings is well underway. Eastover (current EHMS) will begin construction on June 17 and Lone Pine (current WHMS) has begun construction on this wing.
Conant and Way
A desire to improve traffic flow for Conant was shared during the scope & design process, inquired about during the bond campaign process, and was a goal during the project planning. An external traffic study was conducted and recommended that in order to improve traffic flow for Conant, bus traffic and personal vehicle traffic needed to be separated. In working with our partners at Bloomfield Township, a solution was suggested that not only met the goal to improve traffic flow in the parking lot, but also met the requirements of fire safety by creating a fire lane to access as much of the building as possible for emergency vehicles. In the site map image below, you can see the new fire lane entrance off Forest Way that will access the east and north side of Conant, and also provide a designated bus-only traffic lane. This loop will have a locked gate that will only be opened for buses and emergency vehicles. At Way, fire lanes will also be added, which can be seen in the site map image below.
Bloomin’ will continue to operate all three current locations of preschools - Conant, Fox Hills, and Lone Pine - for the 2023-24 school year. Construction and building transition will not impact operations next year.
New Middle Schools
We are seeing incredible progress in the bond work being completed at the new South Hills Middle School and North Hills Middle School locations. Some highlights include:
- New main office construction is well underway at SHMS.
- SHMS parking lot and student drop off / pick up lane enhancements are underway and parking lot reconfiguration will begin in the summer and be ready for the start of school.
- New furniture has been ordered and will be installed for the start of the 2023-24 school year in both schools.
- The NHMS new pool is currently being constructed and is on schedule for completion for the 2023-24 school year.
- The NHMS parking lot construction has begun and will take shape throughout the summer.
- NHMS softball field remains offline through spring of 2024.
- NHMS baseball field is in playable condition for this summer. Parking and access may be restricted.
- The track and outdoor artificial turf will remain open throughout the spring and summer at NHMS.
Catchment & Transition Events
- Middle School families are invited to a Middle School Orientation Night at the BHHS Auditorium (SHMS May 1 / NHMS May 8). Parents/guardians of incoming 6th graders are encouraged to attend the 6-7 p.m. session and parents/guardians of incoming 7th and 8th graders are encouraged to attend the 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. session. Please direct any questions to your principal.
- Middle School students will participate in grade level orientation days during the school day at BHHS and Bowers School Farm. This transition event will provide an opportunity for all incoming BHS middle school students to participate in team building with their new classmates. More information will be shared in May with middle school families.
- June 6: Incoming 6th graders
- June 7: Incoming 7th graders
- June 8: Incoming 8th graders
- Elementary Transition Tour and Coffee Open Houses (Way and Conant May 10 / Eastover and Lone Pine May 17). These transition events are an opportunity to see the neighborhood schools that current and future students will attend next year. Families will take a self-guided tour to learn about the progress of spaces, such as the media center, cafetorium, kindergarten wing, and playground. Please direct any questions to your principal.
Conant Elementary Site Map (below)
Way Elementary Site Map (below)