Middle and High School Students Receive Prestigious Scholastic Awards for Writing
Each year, students across the country submit writing and art pieces to Scholastic in the hopes of being recognized for their creative work. This year, multiple students across Bloomfield Hills Schools received recognition for their writing from Scholastic.
The Midwest Writing Region at the Belin-Blank Center is a multi-state region that includes Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, and Wisconsin. In Michigan, a total of 115 students earned awards.
Students who earn Honorable Mention, Silver, or Gold Key Awards in either Art or Writing in the Iowa or Midwest Regions will be recognized at the National Scholastic Celebration. Regional Gold Key entries are automatically considered for national awards. National Medals will be announced on National Notification Day, March 23, 2022.
Gold Key Awards in Writing:
- BHMS: Saaj Aujla (Grade 8, Neuwirth): Poetry, titled Still I Play
- EHMS: Hannah Oh (Grade 8, Lumsden): Flash Fiction, titled Mission Possible
- BHMS: Katie Tadesse (Grade 8, Blazis-Sloan): Short Story, titled When In Doubt
Silver Key Awards in Writing:
- BHHS: Emily Abel (Grade 10, Rose): Poetry, titled nefelibata
- BHMS: Katie Tadesse (Grade 8, Blazis-Sloan): Flash Fiction, titled One Day
- BHMS: Katie Tadesse (Grade 8, Blazis-Sloan): Poetry, titled A Great Scintilla
Honorable Mentions in Writing:
- BHMS: June Campbell (Grade 8, Neuwirth): Poetry, titled Poems by June Campbell
- BHHS: Minglu Jiang (Grade 11, Lyon): Personal Essay & Memoir, titled November 30th, 2021
- EHMS: Hannah Oh (Grade 8, Lumsden): Flash Fiction, titled Life of a Pinata
- BHMS: Sloane Schiller (Grade 8, Neuwirth): Poetry, titled Sloane Schiller’s Poetry Collection
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards program is the nation’s longest-running, largest, most prestigious recognition program for creative teens. For the past 100 years, the Awards have recognized and encouraged artists and writers such as Sylvia Plath, Andy Warhol, Truman Capote, Robert Redford, Tom Otterness, and Zac Posen, among countless others.