Eastover Elementary has been designated as a Michigan Green School and has earned Evergreen status, which is the highest designation possible. At Eastover, students participate in the following "green" practices…
- Extensive recycling program (paper, plastic, glass, aluminum, batteries, printer cartridges, etc.)
- Waste Free/Reduced Lunch
- Use and study of alternative energy sources
- Partnership with Lawrence Tech University
- Local and national contests/grants for "green" ingenuity, creativity, and environmental problem solving
- Adopting endangered species
- Learn from guest speakers, LTU mentors, community members about being green and green careers
- Extensive Gardens, Courtyards, and Outdoor Classrooms
As part of our Sustainability Initiative, students and faculty from Lawrence Technological university visit Eastover on a regular basis to help students with special projects that pertain to Sustainability, engineering, architecture, and design. Eastover students have worked with partners from LTU on creating solar ovens, designing bird houses, creating future vehicles, and much more!
Another special component of our Sustainability initiative is our student garden. All classrooms spend time in the garden planting and harvesting, while making real-world connections to math, science, and social studies concepts. Students also learn about the environmental and health benefits to eating locally grown fresh produce. Eastover is the only Bloomfield Hills school with a mobile demonstration kitchen to provide opportunities for students to cook in the classroom using ingredients from their very own student garden!
- How do VT and Sustainability provide my child with life skills?
- How will my student transition to an IB middle school?
- Besides Eastover, where else is VT and Sustainability being implemented?