The mission of the Bloomfield Hills Schools Transportation department is to transport children safely, in mechanically sound vehicles, to and from school and school activities, with compassion, caring, and courtesy in a safe environment.
BHS has 60 buses that are excellently maintained by our mechanics. We have received excellent police inspections for our fleet for the past 27 years!
We strive for everyone who rides the bus to feel safe and secure and enjoy their bus ride. Have a safe and happy school year!
Curious about a late bus? The Bloomfield Hills Schools Transportation department is pleased to introduce SafeStop, an app for your smartphone, tablet or computer that offers real time school bus updates.
Please follow these directions to get connected. If you have any questions about SafeStop, please contact us at 248.341.6292.
2019-2020 Bus Information
Bus route information is available through Parent Portal. Under your student's name, select the "Transportation Info" link on the left side. If do not remember your login credentials, please select the Need Your Login Information? option underneath where you would enter your PIN and Password. This will prompt you to supply your email address and your PIN and Password will be emailed to you.
Please note that due to new students enrolling throughout the year, pickup times are subject to change. Any bus changes throughout the year will be updated online.
Students should be waiting outside at their stop (not indoors) at least 5 minutes prior to pickup time. Ridership fluctuates daily based on after school sports/clubs and therefore the times listed as drop off are a baseline. For afternoon drop offs, families should note a 15-minute window prior to, and after, assigned stop time. Kindergarten and 1st grade students will be dropped off only if an older sibling on the bus or a guardian/authorized adult is at the stop to meet the child. If this is not the case, your child will be taken back to the schools latchkey program.
Kindergarten and First Grade Families
Dear Kindergarten and 1st Grade families:
It is our practice not to drop off a kindergarten or 1st grade student at a bus stop in the afternoon without an older sibling on the bus or a guardian/authorized adult at the stop to meet the child.
We have experienced great delays, as we have routinely found that guardians/authorized adults are not yet at the stop to meet the child when the driver arrives. In many cases, our drivers have tried to wait for an adult to arrive to meet the child getting off the bus before continuing to the next stop. Sometimes, the driver has had the opportunity (based on the particular route) to return to the stop with the child in the hopes that an adult will be present.
When that is not possible or when an adult is still not present, the student is taken back to the school building and placed in the care of Latchkey staff until a guardian can come pickup the child.
These practices have caused incredible delays in our transportation system for other students and families. It has also increased the amount of time our buses and drivers are on the road, which adds to our overall cost of the program.
Therefore, we've adopted the following practice:
- If an adult is not present at the bus stop to meet the kindergarten/1st grade child (and no sibling is on the bus to accompany the child off the bus), the driver will take the child to the school’s Latchkey program at the end of the run.
- Our drivers are no longer authorized to return to a bus stop to see if an adult is present at a later time.
- Children will need to be picked up from the school’s Latchkey program. Please note that there is a fee for Latchkey which is $15 for each occurrence and must be paid at pickup (payment can be made by cash, check, or credit card).
- Families will be notified once the child has arrived at Latchkey.
- Please note that a school bus may arrive up to ten minutes ahead of the published drop-off time if fewer students are on the bus that day.
Latchkey offers a drop-in service that is $50 for five visits. If meeting your child at the stop is a regular challenge, we suggest you purchase the drop-in service and contact the school before your child gets on the bus to make Latchkey arrangements that day. To register for the Latchkey drop-in service, please call 248.341.7950.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Emergency contact (after hours):
Bus stop change requests can be submitted through the Request for Relocation of Bus Stop form. Please email this form to JMack@bloomfield.org or fax to 248.341.6298 and we will get back to you soon!
The bus stops for kindergarten students follow the same guidelines, laws, and Board of Education Policy as all other elementary school grades.
- What other factors are involved in establishing where the school bus stops?
- What about the safety of my child getting to and from the bus stop? There are no sidewalks where we live and it's not very safe walking on the busy road we live on.
- Isn't the school district required to transport my child?
- My child is starting kindergarten. Will the bus pick my child up in front of my house?
- Is there a law about how far my child has to walk to the bus stop?
- Is there a specified distance that must exist between school bus stops?
- Is there a law stating that an adult riding on a school bus for monitoring purposes be seated at a specific location on the bus?
- My child spends over two hours a day just riding the bus to and from school. Is there a maximum riding time in the law?