The BHHS Pathway Program is designed to create rich and meaningful learning experiences for students through a sense of community and connectedness within the school and the local community. Students have the opportunity to pursue their passions, engage in authentic and experiential learning opportunities and be directly connected with organizations outside the school walls. Developing relationships with business, industry and higher education partners is a key component of the BHHS Pathways in order to design a program that creates powerful, transformative, meaningful and unique learning experiences.
- Intellectual Engagement
- Building Community
- Quality Relationships
- Authentic Experiences and Products
- Grounded in Student Passion
- Student Voice and Choice
- Profession Based Learning
- Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Fostering Creativity
- Professional Skills Development
Bloomfield Hills High School
Developing relationships with business, industry and higher education partners is critical to the success of CAPS. The CAPS model is designed to create a rich and meaningful experience for students, as well as partners. CAPS can be successful in any community by committing to the following:
- Profession-Based Learning:
Instructors develop real-world, project-based learning strategies through collaborations with business and community partners. These interactions enhance the learning experience, preparing students for college and career.
- Self-Discovery and Exploration:
Students realize their strengths and passions by exploring and experiencing potential professions. This allows them to make informed decisions about their future while learning to exhibit leadership.
- Entrepreneurial Mindset:
Instructors create an environment where creative thinking and problem solving is encouraged. An innovative culture is key to fostering entrepreneurial learning and design thinking.
- Professional Skills Development: Unique experiences allow students to cultivate transformative professional skills such as understanding expectations, time management and other essential business values. These skills are critical to providing students a competitive advantage in their post-secondary education and professional careers.
- Responsiveness: CAPS supports high-skill, high demand careers through ongoing innovation in curriculum development, programs and services based on local business and community needs.
Best-selling author and TED Talk presenter Simon Sinek is known for his concept "Start With Why." Describing a phenomenon of human nature and behavior, Sinek asserts: "People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."
The CAPS model is strongly tied to the vision that students should align to that which they are passionate. A culture where all individuals are working to purpose in an area of strong passion is a happy, productive and engaging place. The various experiences provided to students, instructors and other program stakeholders are all an attempt to provide deep and meaningful experiences that best prepare students for the future that awaits them.
In summary, one could say the "CAPS Why" is to help students find their "why."
Results from the "CAPS WHY"
Students exit the CAPS experience transformed. A CAPS alumnus can exude and showcase the following:
- Confidence in his or her ability to think critically and solve problems
- Ability to exhibit leadership from any position
- Ability to be resilient and positively respond to mistakes or other unexpected circumstances
- Superior professional skill sets, including in the following areas:
- Written and verbal communication
- Time management
- Innovation of products or services