With a focus on social-emotional health and community involvement, Bowers Academy supports learners who seek a nontraditional environment as they earn their Bloomfield Hills High School Diploma.
School of Choice applicants must be residents of Oakland County and meet specific criteria, including entering their junior year of high school and willingness to engage in an on-site experiential learning community. If more than 15 qualified applications are received, students will be selected on a lottery basis. The acceptance of applications will begin Monday, July 19, 2021 at 8 a.m. and end Friday, August 6, 2021, at 4 p.m.
The application window will close on August 6, 2021.
In Accordance with State School Aid Act, Schools of Choice Section 105 (MCL 388.1705), Bowers Academy will be open to students residing in Oakland County.
For the 2021-22 School Year, up to 15 applicants will be accepted for enrollment. Applicants must be entering junior year of high school.
In order for an application to be considered, the following criteria must be met:
Agree to the terms and conditions of Bowers Academy as outlined in the Student Commitment.
Agree to meet to discuss a success plan and expectations of enrollment at the initial interview and orientation.
Understand and agree to attendance commitment, attending school in person and on time each day. This will include arranging transportation as needed.
Have independent daily living/grooming skills such as using the bathroom, eating, and mobility.
Maintain appropriate behavior and social skills as a part of the community in the experiential learning space, including effective communication with students, staff, and community members.
Participate fully within the learning community, interacting appropriately with both animals and humans. Be able to adjust behavior as necessary.
The application window is open from Monday, July 19, 2021 at 8 a.m. to Friday, August 6, 2021 at 4 p.m.
If more than 15 applications are submitted, all applicants who fit the criteria will be entered into a lottery.
The lottery will take place on Tuesday, August 10, 2021 at Booth Center in room ABC.
15 applicants will be selected at random utilizing a lottery.
Remaining students will be maintained on a waiting list.
Lottery selections will be notified on Friday, August 13, 2021 by phone.
If selected to attend Bowers Academy, the applicant must attend the interview AND orientation in order to complete the enrollment process.
The deadline for the enrollment process will be August 30, 2021 at 4 p.m.
Any student who has not completed the enrollment process will no longer be considered.
On August 31, 2021, any remaining seats will be filled by the applicant(s) on the waiting list, in the order they were selected for the waiting list.
- Application Window Opens: Monday, July 19, 2021
- Deadline for Applications: Friday, August 6, 2021
- Lottery: Tuesday, August 10, 2021
- Initial Student Notification: Friday, August 13, 2021
- Student Interviews: Week of August 16, 2021
- Initial Orientation: Thursday, August 26, 2021
- Deadline for Initial Student Commitment: Monday, August 30, 2021
- Status Update-Communication via phone to students on the Waiting List: Tuesday, August 31, 2021
- Waiting List Orientation: Friday, September 3, 2021
- Deadline for Waiting List Student Commitment: Monday, September 6, 2021
- First Day of School: Wednesday, September 8, 2021
- Final Date for status change from “Waiting List” to “Enroll Eligible”: Friday, September 10, 2021