One of the questions I was asked recently was, does Eastover continually do drills? The answer is yes. So far this year we have completed 2 severe weather drills, 3 fire drills and 3 lock down drills all done in coordination with our police liaison officer. Eastover continually reviews with staff and students what to do in the event of an emergency.
Safety and Security District Information -
Please check out the new webpage on the district website for further details and links on where to share ideas with district administrators: https://www.bloomfield.org/about-us/safety-security
Building expectations and procedures -
I am so honored and proud to be principal of this wonderful learning institution. With this in mind, recent events have us reviewing some of our current practices. While we love having families come in and participate and volunteer in our classrooms; we are finding there is just too much adult foot traffic coming through the building during the day. We are currently reviewing our practices and making some changes, to keep Eastover safe and secure during the school day.
Please review the following expectations outlined here:
- All school visitors are required to state their name and purpose for entering the building when hitting the buzzer to gain entry to the building, even if we know you.
- All school visitors are then required to report to the school office on arrival, sign in and get a visitors badge. The badge should be visible throughout your visit. Remember to sign out when you leave the building.
- All school visitors are to remain in the office to await further instructions.
- Visitors will not be permitted to walk down to classrooms until confirmation is made with that teacher.
- Our classrooms have important instruction taking place every moment. When you are in the building to volunteer, you are to stay with your assigned duty and then sign out and exit the building. You may not go to any other classroom or area besides the one you are assigned to for that specific time frame.
- Students are not permitted to enter the building before 8:50 a.m. unless they are enrolled in the Latchkey program. Students are permitted to enter the building at 8:50 a.m. and should line up in their designated area. We have wonderful designated staff in hallways and in carpool to get them where they need to go. Families are to drop off their children and not enter the building at this time. Students who arrive after 9:05 a.m. must be signed in by a family member in the office. Once the student is signed in, the family member must exit the building and the student can go to their class.
- During arrival and dismissal time, families should never enter through the carpool doors. All visitors must use the main entrance.
- If your child forgets lunch, snack, or an item that needs to be dropped off you will follow the building entrance procedures, drop the item off in the office clearly labeled with your student’s name and teacher’s name and then exit the building. Office staff will have the student come and pick up the item in the office. Family members should not be going to classrooms to drop items off.
- Staff are permitted to ask visitors or volunteers their purpose in visiting the school.
- If your child needs to be picked up early for doctors appointments or other activities, the above procedures need to be followed. Family members picking up children will be asked to remain in the office until your student is called down.
Thank you -
Thank you to Mrs. Welch and Mrs. Newell for a coordinating the wonderful K-8 combined science fair for Eastover and East Hills. It was great to see so many families and students with their amazing science experiments. It was a fun evening for everyone.
Eastover wants to congratulate Mrs. Tollafield (our physical education teacher) and her husband on the birth of their first child, Quinn Grace Tollafield. She was born on Thursday, February 22nd in the evening. Mom and baby are doing well. We wish Mrs. Tollafield and her family the best while she is on maternity leave. We have a guest teacher filling in while she is on leave. We welcome Mr. Clinton to Eastover.
Dismissal notes are needed when your child is going home a different way. Any last minute changes need to be called into the office no later than 3:00 p.m. daily.
PTO News -
The PTO pancake dash is coming up to raise money for our Eastover community playground on the upper hill. Please sign up and have fun while exercising. The details are listed out in the articles below.
Important upcoming dates:
Monday, March 18th - Eat a Rainbow week begins
Wednesday, March 21st - Color day - wear as many colors as you can
Wednesday, March 21st - Talent show dress rehearsal 6 p.m.
Thursday, March 22nd - 4th grade orientation at East Hills 7 p.m. (for parents/guardians)
Thursday, March 22nd - CK Diggs PTO fundraiser 5-7 p.m.
Saturday, March 24th - PTO Pancake 5K dash
Monday, March 26th - Rain forest production at East Hills 7-9 p.m. $5 per person, all families are welcome
Tuesday, March 27th - Read-a-thon (wear your pajamas, bring a stuffed animal and a blanket)
Wednesday, March 28th - Kindergarten Exhibition in the AM
Wednesday, March 28th - Talent show for families in the evening 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, March 29th - ½ day of school
Friday, March 30th - No school
April 2nd - April 6th - No school - Spring break begins (Enjoy your break and be sure to READ!)
April 9th - School resumes
Mrs. Crocker (Proud Principal of Eastover)